Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Itchy Beginnings


Last week I was staying in a small Garifuna village on the coast of southern Belize. One night, while drinking rum out of a coconut and watching the sun set on the Caribbean, I was ambushed by a swarm of Belizean sand fleas. I immediately dove into the salty water, but it was too late. My legs and feet are now covered in hundreds of red bumps and blotches. They itch and I look like I'm suffering from some type of jungle fungus. My Garifuna friend, Elvis, assures me that everything gonna be aarait.

Two days ago, I was riding in an old school bus across the Belize border to Guatemala, and an old Guatemalan rancher sitting next to me looked at my legs and suggested, in Spanish, that I pee on myself. It took me a few repete por favors to understand what he was saying. He assured me the urine would stop the itching and get rid of the bumps.

So that night I checked into a sketchy room in an even sketchier Guatemalan town, took off my clothes, and pissed on myself in a cramped shower with a slow drain. I think it made it worse. It may be time to dig through my medicine bag (props to Sister MaeJoy B. WithU).

If you asked me six months ago what I’d be doing right now, I would've said I'd be using my degree to teach poor black students in the Mississippi Delta. I don't have a clear reason why that didn't happen. I'm sure the idea of establishing a hippy commune with my brothers had something to do with it.

Right now my only plan is to keep going south towards Panama. I started in southern Mexico and have made it through Belize and Guatemala. Currently, I'm traveling along the northern Coast of Honduras. As I go further south the food taste fresher, things are cheaper, and the women are more beautiful.

I'm traveling solo, but I´m definitely not alone. Everyday is an opportunity to share a round of beers with the locals and befriend dorky Europeans. Yet, nothing can replace deeply-rooted friends and family. I’m not quite sure where this adventure will take my brothers and me, but I´m loving the uncertainty and will keep y’all posted.

17 comments:

Unknown said...

Yo Cam-

This story is hilarious. Dane suggested that you pick up an aloe-vera gel that is actually made out of another type of cactus plant down there... says it cleared up the bumps right away for him. I'm excited to hear that things are getting better as you trek South. We're making progress with the house up here, I'm working to put everything in place to join you real soon. We're all down there with you in spirit (did I have one before the interment?) We'll have the one-sheet completed upon your arrival in Panama, if you need anything just shoot us the request. Cheers Cuz- stay safe.

-Brad

Matthew McKee said...

oh...um i didnt know there were dangerous things like sand fleas. i think im going to stay up here in the tenderloin where its safe.

love ya

pritish said...

I've got a friend in Costa Rica you should talk to. They may be interested in working together on this project. Be in touch when I get their contact info. BTW, thanks for publishing this, Che Guevara.

Unknown said...

Keep on flowing. What are the most common fruits down there? I am itchin to make some applicable smoothie recipes. Life is good up here. One party at a time. I love the blog. Keep em coming bro.

*B

DR said...

I love this blog and I hope you're taking a ton of pictures.

Love you cuz!

DonnaRose

Anonymous said...

Hey Cam!

Sounds like you are having one heck of an adventure! We'll be visiting many of the same areas very soon.

Sep 6 We leave Florida
Sep 7 Fun Day At Sea
Sep 8 Cozumel, Mexico
Sep 9 Isla Roatan
Sep 10 Belize
Sep 11 Fun Day At Sea
Sep 12 Freeport, Bahamas
Sep 13 Return to Florida

Keep yourself safe, and have lots of fun!

Love, Brittany

Jason Brown said...

Call me next time bro.........I am very skilled and take much pleasure in peeing on people! I would come down there in a second for a chance to pee on "The Cameron McKee"! Seriously though im stoked that it is all working out for you and hope to read more blogs. I think what your doing down there is awesome so keep it cool and safe.
peace bro

Tarawilky said...

I hope the bus ride went well and I can't wait to hear about the people you met (and may want to forget)! Safe travel, Tara

Pedro said...

Papa Cam,

you're so funny. I think about you every single day.

Don't believe what any HAOLE boy tells you about peeing on your leg because of sand flees, sea urchins, or jelly fish. Urban myth bother. Take it from the 808 state native.

I miss you terrible. Your head is as hard as a coconut.

"Ua mau ka eia o ka aina i ka pono"

the life of the land is perpetuated in righteousness.

Anonymous said...

hey babe! glad you're sharing your crazy ways with the people of the south :) i miss you and your ridiculousness. a little. actually i miss you tons & love hearing your stories. keep em comin love <3

carissa said...

Hi Cameron,

Hope you are having fun. I am sooo jealous. I am trying to figure this blog thing out so I can show your Dad. I'm a little scared he is not to savy on computers. Thank God for your mom.

Carissa

mom said...

My Dear Son Cameron, You had me smiling with joy and laughing with tears! The laughter continued when I read Matt's comment. Thanks for introducing me to the blog world. I love this! Great way to start the day. I remember fleeing the sand fleas in Belize two years ago when we were all there. YIKES! Grandma and I will be in SF next week and I will bring copies of your diploma. Keep safe and stand guard against the wild predators as you continue your incredible journey. Love Hugs and Prayers, Mom

Timothy D. said...

you're an inspiration brother. although peeing on my leg is not in my near future, i hope to join the travel ranks real soon. central america sounds real good too. we'll see. my diploma came in the mail the other day, kind of anti-climatic. but im done. love you my friend.

Auntie Karen said...

"To Pee or Not to Pee"
A Travel Guide Through Central America--Featuring Vicious Sand Fleas and Other Scary Creatures.

SOOO--What do you think? Could be a best seller!

We love and miss you. We pray for your safety everynight during Rachel's bedtime prayers, and that those BIG BAD FLEAS will leave you alone! Your Dad was over tonite showing us how to set mole traps--those are the monsters we're dealing with! Looking forward to more adventures with Cameron.

Hugs,
Your Hanson Family

Apayo said...

you're a bad ass. And you crack me up. Sorry the pee didn't work. Maybe if you shit on it... ha!

Good luck on the travels. I'm envious. I'm 3rd on teh wait list to go to Germany, but 3rd never really won anything... We shall see. If not, that I may do the winter break costa rica trip. that may be fun times...

Unka-T-bone said...

Cam,
If you recall when we were on the boat in the VI, Capn Paul told me to rub Gin on my sand flea bites. It was adequate temporary relief.

Those little bitches itch! my scabs and scars lasted a long time as these are not your garden variey sand fleas.
Unka Terry

Keep posting stop scratching!!!

surf3stars said...

Hey man,

The interview with the dog was good stuff. What's your email? My new one is mjkohl@hotmail.com.

-Captain Mike